The Greenbriar....aka Realtor Summit 2011

My journey started with a rather uneventful drive through 3 states...that is until I hit VA 311. My trusted assistant mapped my route (lesson learned) through the scenic byways of Va. and W. Va. (over 2 or 3 mountains) until at last we arrived at the very grand and very posh resort known as The Greenbriar.


After our first workshop, we were given our room keys and directed to the West Virginia wing of the hotel. This is the the newest wing (ca. 1959) of the hotel and built as the cover story for the now famous Bunker. This wing also houses the clinic at the hotel, which I am told is quite famous as well. One must know that the hotel was built on the site of a "healing" spring.


After a myriad of uses (hotel, hospital, containment area for diplomats during the war) the Feds sold the hotel back to the railroad and they hired the now famous hospitality decorator Dorothy Draper to revive the interior. She was paid in 1946 dollars 120k and given a budget of 50k to give this place it's signature look. Regardless of whether you like green, yellow, pink, turquise, red, black and white used with such enthusiasm is quite beside the point...she re-invented what the typical country club and resort should look like! I personally found it to be magical!




My room (they are all a bit eccentric and very much "of the period")


The Victorian Writing Room was one of the oldest rooms (ca. 1913) and one of my favorties.


Last but not least...high tea in the lobby....and you know how I love a spot of tea!


So the next time you want to completely escape from the modern world this is your place...retro glam at it's height!

Until next time...xx/DT

Comments

Popular Posts