Mayberry revisited

Many of my NYC and international friends (yes I have some) wonder why after living in NYC in the 70's and early 80"s did I return to the state of my birth...the rural, mostly Baptist, very conservative place I called home. I would like to say that my thinking was I could lead the change and make this a better place for all, and more progressive thinking would prevail. In reality, I think it was the hand of God protecting me from things much worse happening to people like me in the cities of this nation. Most of my college friends are deceased. Back then it was called "the gay cancer".

In the years since my return, I became an accepted member of this place, (almost too much) but not on the same level that my peers were accepted. I would be invited to give adivce on things of an "artistic" nature, but never to dinner or a party. It just was not done. My street smarts soon kicked in...and in the words of Jack Taylor..."Son, all a poor man has to sell is what he knows"...so I started selling advice and developed a shell around my personal life.







Now, the great State of NC wants to legislate the small part of myself that I have kept to myself....who I chose to love and spend my life with. We did the civil union before it was fashionable. We created a lovely home close to downtown, go to church (had communion with Gov Bev yesterday), go the Teeter...all the things the other "married" couples do. We are not activists. We have only asked to be left alone...and we are Republicans. There...I said it!

So, to the party that I helped to put in place to break the "good old boy" system on Jones St....you have really showed me your true colors...now see mine...they are the colors of the rainbow. Get to work and do what I sent you there to do. What would Sheriff Andy do? I believe he would say, "Now you boys need to leave those nice fellas alone and tend to business".

Best/DT

Comments

Popular Posts