Paint Job?

My most asked question by everyone...buyers, sellers, decorating clients or all three...."what color should I paint the walls?"

My most frequent reply is "how do you intend on using this room"...meaning is this where you sit at night, have breakfast, sleep, use as an office?   Different rooms need different tones or shades of color...even if the whole house is neutral.  What is neutral?  It could be anything from sand, taupe, a myriad of "beige" tones, gray, white, or ivory.  A neutral to you may be colorful to me and vice versa.



My go to source for color for many years has been Benjamin Moore Paints.  They offer a huge range of neutrals, and their "colors" always go on the wall as expected.  Many times I will use a gray/blue/green for guest rooms, a shade of beige for those wide open living spaces so popular in new homes, and perhaps a zing of color for the powder room.  I do like the powder room to be a bit of a surprise!  Blue is my least favorite wall color and very difficult to use correctly, although I love blue accents!

I could go on all day about the how and where to use color, but at the end of the day you have to live with it.  My only pet peeves are beiges that go too pink, and any color that is too strong.  Most colors benefit by being "grayed down".  And remember, the color on the chart will look entirely different on your wall.  Rule of thumb, also go up the chart a few shades or buy a tiny amount and do a test patch.  Painters are expensive!

xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts