Classic versus Classy

Let me start by saying how much I detest the term "classy".  You may as well slap me and stomp on Moma's grave as say "DT is a classy guy".  I honestly think most people do not know better, and for me the term has a negative vibe.  "Classy" means trying to hard, or as we say in parts of the South "getting too large for their loafers".


Classic is another thing entirely.  It gives the impression of timelessness, an innate sense of style that comes naturally.  Style has no price tag and cannot be taught (although I have tried and nearly succeeded).  Many people are "classy" (new cars, shiny stuff everywhere, houses too big for them), but someone with a classic sense of style is much more subtle, but not to be confused with being boring, and never trendy.  Although classic style will often incorporate trends that work to refresh their style, but only when it suits them.  Eccentricity is a genuine element of a classic lady or gentleman.


 The next time you want to give an individual a compliment on their style, just tell them you admire their classic  look, not how classy they are.

xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts