Hiding the TV in full sight

Admit it...almost all of us watch TV at some point during our day.  This is not a bad thing, and you are allowed to have a vice or two.  The RHONY...or anywhere quite frankly are mine.  That Andy Cohen is a vice all unto himself, but what a delicious one.  Plus it does not add pounds and will not get you arrested!


Many people have begun to place the TV front and center over the mantle.  This is not my thing, but I see it alot as a Realtor.  I say if you are going to make the TV "art" then you should frame it.  Use a frame that works with the decor of your room.  Any frame shop has a great selection and will pre-cut and assemble for you or your carpenter can do it for you.  The above picture is a rustic example for what I am describing.  The ideal height when in viewing position is 1 1/2 times the size of the TV screen.

You can also use a hinged screen or pair of doors.  Use any idea (or call your decorator) and have a great finish carpenter install.  I would use a chinoiserie screen!


Perhaps the easiest and most elegant is to just place the TV on or over a large skirted table.  The table will hide all those bothersome cords, plus it will soften your room (skirted tables have that effect!).  I would suggest you have your local glass company cut a  top for your table to size.  I typically use a glass top on a skirted table that I know will get alot of use.  Plus this will give you extra table space to decorate!


If you must have the TV above the mantle here is a blog that gives step by step instructions on how to hide the cords with decorative moldings.  Very creative and will work in any decor!

http://www.sawdustandpaperscraps.com/2011/02/28/how-to-hide-tv-cords-in-trim-work-guest-post/

Below is the finished product.


Personally, mine is in a cabinet and I just close the doors when done.  I am a TV freak....it is a common problem with the boomer generation.  We had the first color TV in the neighborhood!  Now I love my DVR, so commercials are a thing of the past!  Technology...gotta love it!

xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts