More bang for the buck...Part 2

As promised, I am writing a four part series of how to get the most "bang for your buck" as it relates to your home.  Whether you are getting ready to list or prepping it for a long term stay certain things must be addressed from time to time.  You would not wear the same clothes everyday would you?  A home evolves and changes just like people that live there.  The things that worked for you at 24 just won't cut it at 54.  The one place to really let go and experiment is the powder room if you have one.  This is the room that should say SURPRISE when you open the door like the one below.  I did my BFF's in leopard wallpaper (really expensive) with all sorts of luxe touches.  It is her favorite room!  Splurge is the operative word here, and it is achievable because it is such a small space.

As promised, today I will discuss things to do to spruce up the kitchen and baths that won't break the bank but will give you a great end result.  Let's start in the bathrooms, as I just finished redoing both of mine!  If you live in an older home ( like I do) and have a cast iron tub and ceramic tile surround, and it happens to be pink or turquoise don't freak!  I just had my entire tub and the yellow tile walls (that I hid for years with a white shower curtain) reglazed in my guest bath.   Not every reglazer is good (or great), and I have heard some horror stories.  Ask around in your area and find the best.  For $450 bucks my tub and tiles are white and shiny without a hint of their former colors.  Your Realtor should have a list of great vendors and this should be one of them!

All the other items in a typical bath are fairly inexpensive....toilets, towel bars, sinks, etc.  The sink can be a bit tricky.  First make up your mind if you have room for a vanity or if you must do a pedestal.  We had to do a tiny pedestal in the guest room, but my creative carpenter hid a 5 shelf storage cabinet between the studs behind the door.  It was an easy and inexpensive way to get some storage in a tiny old bath.


If you can do a vanity and have a "builder grade" wood one in place, go to your local granite yard and try to find a scrap that would fit your top.  Be prepared with your measurements!  Most of the time they will also provide the undermount sink.  Check online for things like drawer pulls, faucets, and all the other items to finish off the room.  There are several sites I have used that provide quality items at a great price...often with free shipping!

The budget buster for me was the shower doors. In my opinion this is where you should spend the money and go for it.  Ask around for the best glass installer in your area, you will never regret it. If you have that cheesy brass on your glass shower there is a paint product that will change the finish to bronze or nickel (your choice).  I love good old brass, but that cheap stuff gives me the creeps!  Also, the old bath had a window in the bath/shower and I was able to find one vendor online that made a PVC louvered shutter.  It works great, looks just like my wood ones, and your marble/granite guy can make you a windowsill to match your vanity.  This way you will never have a problem with wood rot or mold...two very nasty words in the real estate world. Refer back to Part I about spotlessness!


The shower doors above used to be shiny cheap brass!

When deciding on the floor, don't just go to one tile showroom.  I always check the discontinued tiles all around at the Big Box stores, tiles specialty stores, as well as online sales.  I did my master bath with floor to ceiling white marble with a herringbone inset in the shower all for less the $6.00 a SF. The guest bath floor is a marble basket weave design that I found for around $9 a SF.  This did not include install.  That is the catch....find a great tile man!  Once again, your Realtor is a great source for these and other vendors.  If they have been in the business awhile or are on a great team the vendors have done work for their clients for many years.  This is the case at DT&CO.  We have a great vendor list that we are constantly revising and updating.

Oh my...the kitchen!  Always start with the countertops and flooring.  These are the colors that are "set in stone"...no pun intended.  If you are working the existing elements what can you do inexpensively to spruce up the room?  Paint!  Most cabinets can be painted.  Please take the time to do them inside and out.  White seems to be the trend at the moment for cabinets, but I have seen cabinets painted in a variety of neutrals that look great and really pull a kitchen together.  Changing out the door and drawer pulls is an instant update as well.  It is like a lady putting on her earrings...the jewelry of the room!  Clean off those countertops!  Even an old laminate top will look better with just a few items on display.  A cluttered counter just says "I don't have enough cabinet space"!  If you can't do a stone counter I have seen some laminate counters with a wood banding on the front that adds alot of detail.  Always paint to match either the counter or the cabinet.  The most important thing here is clean and organized.  I have seen very old retro kitchens that were spotless and showed great.



 One last word on painting cabinets.  Designer Amy Howard has produced a product called Home One Step that is illustrated above.  Works on kitchens or baths and comes in a variety of colors.  This deep charcoal is quite dashing...on a budget!  Now roll up your sleeves and start your homework!

As always...xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts