Paula Deen...the N-word...and the truth

OK...I agree.  We should not use the "N" word.  But please find me a Southern born person born prior to 1960 that has not used it...black or white.  She was telling the truth.  This garners a tremendous amount of DT respect.  She could have easily told a convenient lie and the matter would have been dropped.



Now let me tell you a story.  I will try to be as brief as possible.

I was raised in a small Southern town NC in 1959.  Most of the families in my neighborhood had household help.  These women ran our homes and took care of the children in the family.  These women were a part of our families.  They were treated with the utmost respect!  This may sound racist to those of you who did not live this....but it was quite the opposite.   The only spanking I ever had in my life was when I used the N-word towards Pip.

Pip had never owned or driven a car.  My father bought her a car and taught her to drive it.  This was during the late 60's.  Side note...this was also the time my Mother decided to open her own business and become an independent woman.   Pip called my Dad one morning and told him her car would not start.  Later that day we found out that the local NAACP had poured and 5 pound bag of sugar in the gas tank and threatened her for working for a white family.  This is the reality of how it was back then.

I do not know Ms. Dean, and I do think that she became a cultural phenomenon due to the "put-on" accent and such.  She has built and empire from nothing and worked very hard.  I am told that her employees...black and white...are very upset with the media.  I am sure that she cannot control every aspect of what happens at Uncle Bubba's place (her brother), and I am sure the the white woman who took this to court for harassment and such is totally out for the cash.  That is typically the case, as she is now managing a restaurant in Florida and suffered no physical harm.

So turn off the tube if you do not want to see re-runs of Paula.  I understand she has not made new shows in awhile.  Her sons have taken that role and are doing quite well on their own.  But I wonder...who would watch the Food Network without any of the Deans back in the early days....no one.  She re-invented herself with the help and urging of Gordon Elliot, who I remember as the man on the street for Good Day NY back in the day.  His success with Ms. Dean gave him a fresh career and a boat load of cash. My bet is that she will show up on another network sooner than later (if she is so inclined) and help build a new brand.  Frankly...I am getting a bit bored with the Food Network and the ceaseless re-runs.  I do enjoy Ina...but I hear she is quite the snob herself and the persona you see on the tube is totally fake, which does not matter to me at all.  I watch because I like her ideas.

Note to self...if you have not lived it then then speak from fact and truth.   Second...if you always tell the truth you have nothing to hide.  The lady told the truth.  Can you say you would do the same in her situation with all she had at stake?  She is hardly a stupid woman.

As always....xx.DT

Comments

  1. People need to go back and either read The Help or go see the film. Those who do not quite simplydo not understand how it was to be raised in the South. That is not an endorsement of anything, just pointing out the facts as you are doing. Cheers from one of your sincerest fans!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts