My Fantasy Farm

As a child that grew up "in town", albeit a small Southern town, I have always had a fascination with owning a farm.  Perhaps it was all those Green Acres reruns I watched after school.  A chicken named Gertrude and a cow named Eleanor, these are all a part of my fantasy.  Of course, I would need someone such as Eb (the hired hand) to manage this menagerie for me!  



There would be no cash crops, only open fields and lots of dogs!  I think a barn or two would be fun, and of course you would have to have a few cats (for mice and snakes).  And lovely gardens....lots of gardens.



First, an herb kitchen garden just outside the screen porch.  Rosemary, Thyme, Basil of several varieties and whatever else I find at my favorite herb cultivator.  Certainly a cutting garden would be a must...peonies!  A rose garden of the old fashioned variety...not those showy ones with no scent.  What's the use?  Loads of boxwood, camellias, hydrangea, and my favorite, gardenia.  I guess you can tell the largest portion of my gardening efforts would be a white garden.  So soothing! There is nothing better than having white flowers in the house.  And how could I forget my beloved hosta garden...so many varieties...oh the possibilities.





I guess I would not make much of a farmer, but a cow, a chicken, lots of dogs, a few cats (necessity), and gardens. And then there's the house.  Oh my....this is my fantasy farm!


As always...xx.DT   


Comments

  1. Be careful what you wish for... We have a country house that we go to on weekends, two hours north of Manhattan. It has three out buildings. Two barns and a summer kitchen, all built in the first decades of the 19th century. The cost and effort involved in their restorations has been mind-boggling. But so has the saitisfaction of knowing that they will be good for the next 200 years when we are finished with them. Ah well, we are but stewards for those who come after us. Reggie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts