THINGS...LETTING GO!

For years I have held onto to things.  My BFF Joey likes to call them my "cherished objects"!  Why I have had this mental block about letting go of things?  It is partly due to an early and unexpected death of my mother, grandmother, plus an aunt all within a year.  Another important part is a father who could care less about things, family history, or any type of legacy.  When all these ingredients were combined 17 years ago, I became somewhat of a hoarder of the family history.
My life partner, now legal husband, is the exact opposite of a hoarder.  Through him and several other close friends, I have slowly accepted that people do not survive in things.  Happiness and memories are not in things.  Some items carry special meaning and should be kept...others should be passed along to future generations.  I can only trust they will also cherish these things, pass them along when it is time, and share the stories that accompany these items. 


In the past few weeks I have shipped off mother's china to Charleston for her first born granddaughter.  Knowing mother would have wanted it that way,  Britt is marrying a "soon-to be" doctor and will need at least one complete set of decent china...and mother had every piece naturally!  Britt has turned into a lovely young lady and is engaged to be married next summer.  Funny story... this Fall she visited in Raleigh and I took her shopping.  I noticed her shoes did not fit properly on the heels.  Knowing immediately the problem, I took her to Main and Taylor to have her feet measured properly.  I was right!  She has her Grandmother Taylor's (Syble's)  feet...81/2 narrow with a quad A heel...a family trait.  I share the same curse!



I also shipped a box of 60 year old Christmas items to my youngest brother and his wife.  They enjoy the season as much as mother did.  It was her very favorite time of the year!



Other personal collections of mine will soon be sold or donated to various charities depending on value.  These are things from another life. They filled a void at the time...call it antique therapy! Nevertheless, it is time to say so long and I hope you find a wonderful new home. Below is just a small portion of a huge collection of 1872 Wedgewood...Seaweed in Indigo with a Brown/White border.  Very rare.
Please keep what is special...which may be something small and of no value to anyone but you.  I keep a small marble egg on a brass bamboo stand which always sat on mother's nightstand, Uncle Pete's bronze baby shoe, my sterling baby cup, and 3 generations of family bibles (one so threadbare I dare not move it around!) to name a few.

The moral here is hold onto what is in your heart and mind.  Those things can never be taken from you.  Trinkets only serve as a daily reminder of those that wait for us on the other side. Extra Tip:  Do it while you are still around!
As always...xx.DT

Comments

  1. Thank you for reminding your readers of what is really important: family and friends and our love for them, not material possessions. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with those you love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts