SMALL WORLD...and getting smaller...and rugs!

A few weeks ago while having my tea and  Pinterest fix (an obsession I am trying to control), I ran across a rug that was perfect for a new clients library.  I am computer literate just enough to be dangerous, so I followed the links to the web page....Julie Dasher Rugs.  I was carried away with the designs and patterns...so painterly...the multitude of trellis patterns for tonal rugs..divine!
This is the rug that lead me to Julie!
I dashed off an email with my tax number ( she is to the trade only) and expected to get a catalogue in the mail or a return email from her home base in Minneapolis.  Tuesday morning at 9am my cell rings and it is none other than Julie Dasher herself calling!  To my great surprise and joy she has relocated her family to Chapel Hill NC...a mere 30 minute drive from my studio...I-40 willing!
Another beauty from Julie Dasher
We set up a meeting for Friday morning...she comes in with her samples and yarns...and we had a super meeting.  After the preliminaries were out of the way the client came in to see the sample, we pulled yarn colors to customize the piece for her library, and boom...we will have a rendering in a few days!  Julie won me over when she told me she NEVER uses any synthetic yarns.  I detest faux anything...including fibers and people.
One of the many geometrics in her line.  This one is silk and wool.

So to recap:

-The rug designer I thought was half way across the country is basically in my backyard.

-The shocker...her Realtor when she relocated is a former design client as well as a former co-agent with another firm AND a lady I like alot.  She had even driven Julie by my studio and real estate offices to encourage her to contact me!  You all know by know I use the term lady very sparingly these days.

-I am coming into this project behind another well respected decorator to make changes.  Changes required to warm up this house and make it a home and finish the work.  Many "designers" get the bones in  (lighting, wallpaper, etc.) then walk away with their bounty never to be seen again.  This is not the first time I have had to "go behind" someone else's starting point.  Needless to say some lighting will have to change...but for me a good house evolves over time.  It does not pay to get in a hurry.

The moral...be careful how you speak of others.  Always try your best to be diplomatic.  If you can't say something nice then SHUT UP!  You never know until you engage a person in conversation how really connected you may be! 

 The plus...my new client (who is a dear lady) loved the rug and loves the creative process as well as appreciates it...a rare breed indeed.  This is SO not work.  This is my idea of a heaven sent outlet for the other side of my brain.  Real estate is my other passion but the decoration of homes is my flip side and one that I truly love.

Check out http://juliedasherrugs.com/ and contact me if you see something you love.  I can arrange a meeting now that I know how to find her!  Not only is Julie super talented and an expert at her craft, she is a really nice person.  Happy beginnings!

As always...xx.DT

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts