HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Today my mother would be 81 years old.  One cannot help but wonder what type of lady she would have evolved into had she the chance to experience the many changes in our culture over the past two decades.  
Would she text?  Perhaps she would be the queen of social media for her generation?  Maybe she would have mentored other young women on the ins and outs of becoming a self sufficient entrepreneur, which she did in the late 60's until literally the day she died.  A face lift...certainly! Would she still wear fur...of course.  Would she have moved to Raleigh and worked with me...you can believe it sister!  She would have ITB wrapped around her pinkie along with one of her diamonds...she loved diamonds.  Self made women generally tend to spoil themselves (and those they love).  Mother loved her "pretties" but kept it all in perspective.  Her faith and her children were the greatest loves of her life...the rest was fun window dressing!

Quick story.  I remember the evening we were all called to the hospital as if it were yesterday.  Everyone (including my father) turned to me when we were told it was time to "pull the plug. A stroke followed by a massive brain aneurysm was the official case of death. Mother had a living will and would not have wanted anything but a full life...the decision was clear.  One huge blur...that is all I can say.

My BFF, Shawn Browning, was in the car with me as day was turning to night.  Driving to what became my father's house, a favorite Supremes song came on the radio.  I knew then and there that mother was in a good place...sending me a message...loud and clear...sung by Diana Ross!  

You see, as a child she would always take me shopping with her for dresses, hats, gloves, bags, shoes...you name it.  In those days you had to travel (by auto...Cadillac for SST) from one town to another to search for the best of the best.  She would play an 8-track tape (revolutionary at the time) of Diana and The Supremes over and over.  It became our private soundtrack.
The song was..."Someday We'll be Together".  I will remember that moment as long as I shall live. My dear friend and attorney has specific instructions on how this is to be performed live at my own funeral mass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixEOMB6jyEE&list=RDixEOMB6jyEE

There is no love, no bond on this earth like that of a mother and child.  I would never attempt to put into words the love, the emotion, the life lessons, the wonderful gift of having Syble Stocks Taylor as a mother, mentor, confidante, and supporter.  It has been said that time heals all wounds. I can honestly tell you this is a lie. Through faith and prayer you can find a place of peace which allows the mind and body to move forward.

One thing I know for sure,  SST would still have her hair done twice a week, whispering into her stylist's ear..."just give me little height on the top"!
As always...xx.dt 

Comments

  1. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts