FOR THE LOVE OF A COTTAGE

 As a child / teenager I grew up in what our small Southern town considered a large house.  The rooms (in my memory) were large, formal rooms (that were never used), a family room, a playroom with all the stuff like a regulation foosball table, pool table, game table, even a sofa or two!

After moving to NYC in the late '70's (hush up), I became quite accustomed to living in small tight spaces.  This was long before Manhattan became a mecca for anyone with loads of cash to dump into a lavish apartment.  This was the day when you pounded the streets looking for a walk-up and IF it had a fireplace you found a major score.  I found such a score on W. 69th St. between CPW and Columbus. At that time it was a bit scary, was considered WAY uptown on the wrong side of the park, a 3rd floor walk-up (I was sooo skinny), and only $350 a month for a living room and one teeny tiny bedroom.  I was all of 21 years old and fresh out of FIT...what luck!

These days I still enjoy the comfort of living in small spaces.  It gives me a feeling of comfort, security, ease of maintenance, plus I can decorate it REALLY nice due to the limited size!  Yes...the cottage life is definitely for me.

As a Realtor and Interior Designer, I always ask the client "where are you going to REALLY live in the house".  The answer is typically the same...bedroom/bath has to be wonderful and beautiful, kitchen is very important, and the gathering room/family room/ living room (whatever the term du jour may be) is where they entertain, visit, and....watch TV.  I mean really, how many places can you sit and really enjoy your home?  If you desire a showcase for status or to display collections I get that...but are you enjoying it?

These are a few of my favorite rooms from my Pinterest boards....come follow me as I collect more and more images of my favorite things!
This one had me at the picket fence and boxwoods!


Allison Ramey Architects...love her work!


A room surrounded by books is my idea of heaven!
I love any small room that has floor to ceiling bookshelves!   Books are overflowing in our little cottage and I could really use a room like this.  I would literally live here.


We did this in our master...it works great!





A small elegant kitchen is just right for most of us...don't you think?

As always...xx.dt

Comments

Popular Posts