More Bang for your Buck

There are lots of ways to get “top dollar” when selling your home.  I will address the most important ones in this four part series.


First of all I want to address the false perception of selling seasons.  The Triangle is consistently ranked as one of the top markets in the US.  With this said, there are people moving in and out of this area year round.  There is no such thing anymore as a “spring market” and the idea that homes do not sell between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We have tracked the numbers and the slowest time of year for sales is the first three weeks of July.  This is the only time I would advise a seller to wait to put their home on the market. 

The easiest and most economical way to get more bang for your buck is to make your home neat and tidy.  When I say neat and tidy I mean spotless!  Like eat off the floor spotless.  I know this how difficult it is to live this way while your home is on the market, but I cannot begin to express how important it is to potential buyers.  It says “I love my home and you will also”. 


The first thing the potential buyer sees when they approach your home is the yard (which should also be as perfect as possible) and the front door.  Make sure your locks are in good working order, the door is clean as is the stoop or porch (no cobwebs or other insect nests), and if it needs painting that is huge.  I cannot tell you how many homes I have listed and sold homes quickly just by painting the front door and shutters!


 Upon entering, you want the first thing the buyer to see is an uncluttered space.  Whether you have a foyer or you enter directly into the living space the first impression is the one that will stick in the buyers mind.  Most times when showing a series of homes the buyer will often nickname a house.  I have heard “the smelly house”,  “the cat house”, “grandma house”, etc.  You do not want your house to end up with any nickname other than “the one that we like the best” house!


Depending on the house and the buyer, certain things never change.  The women always head to the kitchen and the master first (baths and closet), and the men always head to the bonus room and the garage (TV and storage for more stuff).  My rule for the kitchen is no more than three things on the counter.  Garages can be full, especially when in the process of packing and moving, but must be neatly stacked and organized.

As we go along with this series, I will go room by room with more advice and how to get the most “bang for your buck” when it comes to selling your home or just making it a great place for you to live! 


Next up I will address the most crucial parts of the home….kitchens and baths!

As always...xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts