Long Live the Professor!

OK...I admit it. As a kid watching Gilligan's Island reruns after school I developed a serious crush on the professor.  He was just sooo dreamy!  As an adult, I did find it somewhat strange that if he was so brilliant then why could he not fix that boat, or build a new one?


That brings me to Thurston Howell III and Lovey, his always overdressed and bejeweled wife.  How and why did they manage to take a "three hour tour" with what must have been endless steamer trunks of costume changes and accessories?  It boggles the mind!


Then we have the lovely starlet Ginger.  She also managed many costume changes...day to evening...evening during the day!  But poor Mary Anne, just that same old gingham blouse and cut-off shorts and maybe one plain dress.  The rest of the cast was much the same...one change day in day out.  I just wanted the professor to take that button down shirt off and so did Ginger!


Speaking of Ginger, she spawned an entire generation of drag queens.  I am not a huge fan of this particular stage art, but have been around long enough to see plenty of "Gingers" take the stage in smoky bars working for dollar tips.


The endless hours of being parked in front of the tube affected me in a totally different way.  I now realize that my entire wardrobe was fashioned after a combination of the professor, a bit of Gillian, and a whole lot of Thurston Howell III thrown in to provide the luxury aspect that makes it all work. 


One quick story.  I was at a benefit/function years ago (a Sunday afternoon casual affair) wearing jeans, navy blazer, white shirt, bit loafers, and proper accessories.  An acquaintance walked over and the first thing out of his mouth was "are you doing Thurston Howell III drag today?"  I was quite taken aback, but it did start me thinking...did TV seep into my subconscious this deeply?  I should say so! 


Tip...watch what your children are taking into their little minds...they will use it later and not know why!

As always...xx.DT



Comments

  1. I had a crush on the Professor, too, but identified more with Mr. Howell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts