Indian Tree China...My Latest Obsession



Charlotte Bronte (1816 -1855) "These fans of leaves from Indian trees-- These crimson shells, from Indian seas-- These tiny portraits, set in rings-- Once, doubtless, deemed such precious things; Keepsakes bestowed by Love on Faith, And worn till the receiver's death, Now stored with cameos, china, shells, In this old closet's dusty cells." (Mementos written under the pseudonym Currer Bell in 1846"



It all started with a tiny shack of a bungalow on the edge of Historic Oakwood in downtown Raleigh.  The only heir (a very nice Atlanta gentleman) had engaged my services to list and sell the home of his only brother.  He had already taken massive amounts of items out of the house, as his brother was a bit of a collector (hoarder).  Long story short, the house went under contract in 4 days (yes...I am that good).  The bottom line was everything has to go!
My right hand man, best friend of over 30 years, and secret weapon Joey Kue got the assignment.  He gathered his troops and set to work untangling the collected debris of a lifetime.  Quite sad really, but remember this...I have never seen  U-haul behind the hearse!  He called me at the office, told me he had unearthed a large set of china, and did I want it. My response...bring over a plate....second response...pack it all up carefully and bring it to the office!
This is how I "inherited" so many pieces of Indian Tree china that I literally have not had the time to take an accurate inventory.  In addition, I have started buying more!  From 19th century Minton pieces to Johnson Brothers and a few in between, I have learned that just about every manufacturer of china has at one time or another made this pattern.
Where it will go I do not know, but if you ever need some for a photo shoot or a dinner party I have plenty!

As always....xx.DT

Comments

  1. Count me in, I've got it, too. A couple different patterns, as well, including the one in the second photograph. It's terrific!! Reggie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts