Window Dressing

Once upon a time even the tiniest shops in the tiniest towns paid extra special attention to the art of window dressing.  Yes...I said art!  Why? Window dressing (when done correctly) stimulates the imagination of the potential buyer, makes them want to see more of what is inside, and ultimately make a purchase!


We are all aware of the famous NY windows of Bergdorf, Barneys, Saks, and at one time Tiffany. Remember the famous scene with Aubrey Hepburn gazing into a Tiffany window wearing the now famous Givenchy gown in Breakfast at Tiffanys?  If you have not seen this classic movie I suggest you remedy this immediately!


Many stores these day do not even have REAL window displays...only a few dress forms with perhaps a prop or two.  Perhaps I am biased, as my first job fresh out of FIT was as a "visual merchandiser"...a fancy title for one who does displays.  The best thing about that job was it honed my eye for proportion and scale, what recedes and what jumps, and mixing high and low elements in unexpected ways to capture attention.


Yes...display is an art.  You do it everyday.  When you arrange your food on a plate, get dressed, style your home, arrange your desk...everything is a form of display. 


At Home with DT (my interior design showroom and studio) and my own home is where I practice these days.  Come by and see how I do...

As always....xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts