THE NEW COTTAGE

As most of you know my now, I maintain 2 twitter accounts, instagram and tumblr feeds, this blog, and at least 4 pages on Facebook plus one group page...Just Ask DT.  The answer is yes.  I maintain all these myself which is why I am always at my computer at 5 am.  This also explains my many grammatical errors!
On to today's subject.  A few days ago I posted an illustration of a Bill Ingram designed cottage I have been smitten with for months.  At long last I have secured not one but two infill teardown locations in great older neighborhoods in order build several of these.  Bill, if you are reading this I would love to discuss how we could make these into townhomes for one property...the planning board...ugh!  I will be in the ATL the 22nd through the 26th....dinner with John and Danielle?
Anywho...that very day I received a most unusual email.  It began..."did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"  This husband and white (with a toddler) has been searching for high style, high end finishes without the McMansion look or mindset that the average builder/agent is still clinging onto. They also LOVE Bill's work...who doesn't?
During a meeting with a builder I do alot of work with (because he is smart, listens, is honest PLUS a really nice guy) he hit the nail on the head.  People (young and older) want to live close to the city core, pay more for less square footage/less yard in order to gain a better quality of life.  This translates into short to no commutes...super high end finishes because you are only doing 1700 to 2100 SF as opposed to 8000 SF, access to great parks and greenways, street festivals, and a real sense of community.  The #1 request I have from buyers these days is "is it walkable".
We will always have those who want and/or need the huge status home.  As a Realtor and decorator I say bring me a few a year!  The fact remains that the tide is turning and a great well designed cottage has become very appealing to this new generation of buyers.  I am super excited about it and ready to start producing the product, so stay tuned!
As always...xx.DT

Comments

  1. Is Bill still associated with Bobby McAlpine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...but they are from the same state...Alabama!

      Delete
    2. where is the cottage home at the top of this page the one posted October 8th

      Delete
  2. I think the same requests can be associated with those retiring also. We have downsized twice and are considering trying it one more time. We don't want a lot of yard work or high utility costs and I don't want to worry about cleaning a big house. We have kept the things we love most and gotten rid of the "junk" we accumulated over the years. Makes life so much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts