THE HOUSE BEYOND THE HEDGES...UNIVERSITY PARK HOME OF THE MONTH

I first encountered the home at the corner of Wade Ave. and Canterbury several years ago when it was on the market for sale.  After touring it with several sets of buyer clients, it was decided this house just needed far too much work.  Little did I know that several years later I would once again visit this home with it's new owner and see it in whole new light!

  This large modernist home was orginally built in 1941 by the Bashford Plumbing and Heating Company.  After having several owners it came into the possession the Weinstein family in 1951.  The current owners, The Wilson family, tell me that the "old-timers" still refer to the house as the Weinstein place!  You must remember at that time Wade Ave, Canterbury,and Dixie Trail were all dirt roads and University Park was "the country".  In 1973, the Anderson family purchased the home and were the last residents until the Wilson's embarked on their epic journey of restoration and rejuvenation!

Literally from the floor to the roof and everything in between has been done and redone to this home. Walls have been moved, a screened porch added, a glorious new kitchen, doorways opened to give this home a lovely flow from room to room.  Before when I visited this home it was a choppy series of dark dank rooms with no real rhyme or flow.  Now it is absolutely magical with huge windows open to the let the outside in!  Speaking of the huge windows, Ms. Wilson tells me that several of them had to be done twice due to the size and scale.  
They are finally settled in after several years of contractors and workmen and I wish them every happiness.  Ms. Wilson tells me she loves University Park!

A side note...this house sits on four lots.  There was alot of talk in the real estate community of a certain developer buying this house for a tear-down and putting in at least 3 houses.  The only thing that stopped him was Wade Ave.  The Wilson's don't even see Wade Ave. from their windows!  Who got the last laugh?
As always...xx.DT

Comments

  1. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts