WARNING:

WARNING: This is not a pretty post!

As many of you know, DT has stopped the nasty habit of his youth...finally. That is correct, I am now a committed non-smoker.


In the '70's...in NYC...at Studio 54 and the clubs of the West Village...I became an addict...to nicotine. It was a habit that I nutured for over 30 years. I have quit with the patch, Chantix (suicidal), and gum. This time I did it cold turkey. Why...to save my life.

You see, it started with a sinus infection that would not go away. I went to see the "doc in a box" on New Years Day 2011....how appropriate! The very kind doctor would not let me leave the office until I agreed to go on blood pressure meds due to my extremely high blood pressure. At the age of 52, knowing my family history...(mother died of a stroke at 63 and never smoked or drank)...I knew I had to take control of my life and make some drastic changes.

#1 on the list was the smoking...and I quit all alcohol for over a month. What a fun date I was...NOT! But, I suffered through and now feel better than I have in years. I have a bit of weight to lose, but as I always say...you can lose weight but you can't lose stupid (just a joke y'all)! So now instead of having a smoke on my porch in the morning with my tea I blog.

I am venting all this to y'all due to having a doctor's appointment today at 10:30am. Hopefully I can get off these meds, the blood pressure is down, and I am on the way to a long and healthy life. None of us know when our time is up, but we must give it our best effort. Failure is not an option.

I am NOT sharing this for a pat on the back, but in an effort to show those closet smokers out there something....if I can do this so can you...I LOVED to smoke...it gave me such pleasure. There was nothing as good as a smoke, and I could make any excuse to have one....just ate, stress, on the phone, having a drink, etc. This is a very harmful drug that does great damage to your body...stop it!

Best of luck to us all! xx/DT

Comments

Popular Posts