The art of the coffee table

Who started calling it a coffee table anyway?   I have never served coffee on the table in front of the sofa...the anchor of any well appointed furniture grouping.   I may have served a cocktail or two, or three, or four...but that is another blog!



You know how when you walk into a furniture showroom or store, or any decorator's boutique, and the cocktail tables are always "tablescaped"?    Well you can make quite a statement in your own home with your own things by creating a tableau on your cocktail table.  There is nothing worse (to me) than seeing the coffee table used as a place to store your mail, keys, etc.



I like to use books, have a tray for current magazines and the remotes, maybe an orchid or a few silver boxes.  During the holidays I use a silver bowl filled with antique silver bells.  Do you own thing and be creative.  Caution:  if you have young children use larger pieces that cannot go in little mouths, are too precious, or too pricey.  Just saying....



Tablescaping can become addictive.  I have friends who have closets full of their "cherished items" and change out seasonally.  I am not quite that bad, but I do like to shake da hubby up once in a while by changing things up!  Make it fun...make it you!



xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts