THE NEW BRASS

Yes boomers...brass is back in home interior design.  It is showing up in high end kitchens, baths, all types of hardware for the home!  I am so happy about this. 
Why?  As a native Southerer, I was trained at birth to appreciate a fine old candlestick or trivet from Virginia Metalcrafters (ca. 50's or older).   Good old brass was used daily when I was a child along with silver, china, and crystal.  Moral....if you have it use it.  My Mom passed at the age of 63, so I think she inherently knew that everyday was a special day (as it should be)!

Now a new generation is discovering the old world patina that good brass takes on after daily use and lots of polishing.  This is not the cheesy shiny stuff of the spec homes of the 80's and 90's.  I agree that stuff should be banished to the dump from which it came.

So add a little sparkle to your life with brass, but buy the best and keep it polished well.  And never be afraid to "mix your metals".  Think of it as jewelry for your home...maybe even the front door!
A little goes a long way...kind of like some of my other favorites...leopard, the color orange, and anything chinioserie.
PS...I originally posted this in October of 2012.  Catch up y'all!

As always...xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts