Black is back...the new Black

For several years I have posted things like "mad for plaid"..."navy is the new black"....."gray is the new black".  I must tell you dear readers, there is no escaping the purity and slimming qualities of basic black.  I use it in my home and wear it almost daily (with gray and navy).  Yes, black and myself have had a very long love affair!



Every guy needs a black suit (funerals and casual affairs that are not quite black tie) and a few good black cashmere sweaters.  And what woman's closet would be complete with a little black dress?  Black is always our go to uniform when we don't feel "just right" about ourselves.  Kind of like hiding in full view !Just be careful with head to toe black...after a "certain age" it tends to make one look a bit dowdy and bring out every wrinkle.  All over black is great on young folk...they still have color in their unlined faces!




Black in the home is something I have been doing for years!  It all started for me with a huge black lacquer grand piano.   Before I knew it I ended up painting the kitchen cabinets black (to great effect) and ended up with a bit too much black furniture.  I have since put most of those pieces in happy homes or off to the Bargain Box.  The black kitchen is now gone, but the guest bath is now black.  A room without a touch of black is unfinished in my opinion.







You could even do a black fridge...but don't unless you have full time help in the house.  It will show every fingerprint.  I once had a client who installed in her lovely new home a black toilet.  It always looked horrible (we pulled it out and replaced it with a white one).  There are a few things that should not be black.  Choose wisely!



xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts