Old Is New Again!

I just read in one of those glossy shelter magazines that antiques are back!  DUH!  Where did they go?  The article went on to say that clients were "getting tired" of theme decors and all modern interiors with no relation to the past, not to mention the lack of warmth and comfort that nice old things bring to an interior. 







This writer (who will remain nameless and clueless) obviously was either very young or arrogant or both.  The relation to our past is ingrained just like our DNA.  Our very soul has a need for things...stuff...which brings us comfort plus makes us feel that we are not alone...even if we are.  That goes double if you are from the South!

It seems this writer was kind of amazed that antiques, old rugs, antique prints and paintings could actually look great in a totally modern setting!  The dude should have called me first...I have been doing this for years, as have most of my contemporaries.  We used to call it eclectic.  I have no idea what this generation will call it.  Like the post says...everything old is new again.  Hopefully that include me!

As always...xx.DT

Comments

  1. I hope my oldest grandson reads this. He asked me why I liked old stuff (he, of course, prefers modern.) I told him I liked anything that had the patina of age, evokes memories, has a family history or is beautifully constructed with great craftsmanship and style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts