The Tabletop Tree

Many years ago after my Grandfather passed, my Grandmother stopped putting up a full tree and starting putting up a tabletop version in her "front parlor".  I always felt a bit sad for her.  In my young mind this meant she was not enjoying the full Christmas experience.  Now I know how wrong I was!  Check out how spectacular this bonsai version would look in her parlor today!


Now I am the one that no longer puts up the full sized tree!  I have done so many trees in my lifetime that if I never do another one that's just fine.  Yet the the smaller version of the traditional Christmas tree need not be "Grandma's tree" re-incarnated.  One must think outside of the box to create something extra special.  Last year I did a grouping of small semi flocked vintage brush trees combined with a few pottery trees on the back of the piano.  It worked to great effect and gave the impression of a snowy forest in miniature.  The image below is what a brush tree looks like.  Image a grouping of these from 24" tall down to 6".


This year I will be doing a "stick tree" to hang some of the vintage ornaments I rescued from the family attic.  Searching for the perfect branch, putting it in a silver bowl with some oasis and green moss, then hanging some of my little jewels will be my craft project this year.  As I wrote yesterday, these are just of the few things I saved after the passing of my mother.  Their fragility is becoming an issue so my stock is depleting yearly!  I know you can buy a boxful at any vintage store, but it's just not the same...ya know?


Even if you do not have the time, motivation, or space for a full size tree, don't let the season pass you by without bringing a bit of sparkle into your home for the holiday!

As always....xx.DT


Comments

  1. I've been a fan of tabletop Christmas trees ever since I first saw one in the pages of Martha Stewart Living. Boy, who worked at MSL for several years, does them to perfection. We debated having one again this year, but opted for a full sized tree because you can use more ornaments! Reggie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts