THE FARM

Well...it wasn't really a farm.  It was a 100 year old farmhouse with several acres of land, a pond, and several outbuildings.  It had the wrap around porch with columns, the magnolia trees, the grape arbor...all the trappings a Southerner would expect on a "gentleman's farm".
I was attending a home inspection for a buyer of said property yesterday morning in the pouring rain.  If you are going to inspect a 100 year old house the time to do it is in a torrential downpour...unless you are the inspector (poor Bruce).  
As I sat at the heirloom dining room table my thoughts began to run wild thinking about a country house.  I would certainly want one that had the ancient grand old farmhouse (to be restored) which would make a great coffee table book (Watson Brown are you listening?).  I would have to add a new stable with a caretakers living space above.  A barn is a must.  Why? Since childhood I have wanted a cow named Ethel.  Don't ask!  And chickens...you must have chickens.  
My attorney tells me he will go "halfsies" with me (to ease the pain) due to his wife's love of horses plus the fact that hers is boarded at the moment. He has great taste and a load of antiques, so we have alot in common.  The big plus is that he can make it work financially and I can just make it pretty.  Pretty comes easily to me and I must say I do it quite well.
A house in the country...yep...I need a do a book on this one kids.  That would buy alot of restoration work!

As always....xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts