WALLPAPER...DRAPERY...AND GOOD BROWN FURNITURE

I hear so many youngsters (anyone under 50), exclaim OH NO! when walking through a home that has wallpaper or custom drapery.  Perhaps it is because it reminds them of their grand mama's home or a museum house they may have been forced to visit as a child?
Quite frankly good wallpaper, good "brown" furniture", and good drapery never really go out of style, but perhaps out of fashion.  I was in a fine old home here inside the Raleigh beltline  that had wonderful old wallpaper and chinoiserie valances (the drapes were dry rotted and removed) that were just begging for restoration.  The young couple that was also at this open house was overheard to say, "that wallpaper and those weird looking window treatments will be the first to go".  What a sin.  I hope I am around to at least rescue the valances!
The moral here....think before you react to what came before you.  Or to make it even plainer, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Good custom work is a labor of love, expensive, and time consuming.  Perhaps it is not your style, but don't be "dissing" the past.  It always has a way of coming back!
 

As always....xx.DT

Comments

  1. That is what I keep preaching to my children. None of them really like antiques, and I am trying to get them to see the beauty in them so they won't sell mine for pennies on the dollar when I am gone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts