Charleston and the rest of us poor mortals....

It has been 13 years since making the pilgrimage
to Charleston.  With a few exceptions, the civility and charm once associated with this historic city has been replaced (from my limited observation) with young well dressed drunks, tons of bars, trendy shops and restaurants (farm to table is all the range), and LOTS of tourists (cruise ships).  I did not recognize King St. at all!
I expected most of this...I do have a large circle ya know!  What I did not expect was the underlying tone that whispered "you're not one of us".  No...I'm not.  I am actually a genuine Southerner that feels more at home in Manhattan.  This may be the "Holy City", but some of the folks I met could do with a good dose of the spirit...and not the one out of the bottle (although there is a time and place for that as well).
Other than the few "subtle snubs", I found large parts of the downtown area to be very vibrant and full of life.  Lots of new energy...so intense it radiated from the old cobblestone streets!  It will be interesting to see how all this evolves.  As a quick side note, the new reality show "Southern Charm" is the laughingstock of the entire town.  I am told no one watches it...even the "characters".  You can't win them all Andy Cohen!
Mt. Pleasant, just across the famous/infamous Ravenel Bridge, is basically two long highways of strip malls with varying degrees of subdivisions on the side roads.  I was "treated" to some of these sights and told I should see it by boat. Horror of horrors!  DT never ever does boats...of any size...at any time.  Please don't mistake the Sperry's as my nautical apparel choice...it's a comfort thing.
It also seems than anyone with a patch of land that is on a creek, ditch, or river (big time) calls their home a "plantation".  As a Realtor, I find this fascinating!
I must return next June for a family wedding...after that we shall see.  Give me the the canyons of Madison Avenue any day.

As always...xx.DT

Comments

  1. My feelings exactly. I love the beauty of Charleston, certainly, but could not see myself living there for the reasons you cite. I found the invasion of national chain stores there dispiriting, and the inward-looking view of many of the older Charlestonians I met verging on tedious. I would think a ninth-generation Charlestonian needn't be quite so superior about it. Grateful, yes, superior no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately it is common to see this superior attitude in mere 2nd generation Charlestonians. That was the real rub!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are like the Chinese, They live behind walls, speak a different tongue and worship ancestors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts