Cottages....

What comes to mind when you think of the word cottage?  A fishing shack by the sea...a bungalow in a college town....a European village?  Actually a cottage could be any of these, but for my purposes as a Realtor and decorator a cottage is a cozy home of modest size that "feels good" when you walk in the door.
We have all been in these type of homes before.  They tend to embrace you instantly!  Perhaps it is the charm of a screen door, the creak of a well worn wood floor, or the turn of a stair. Whatever it whispers to you it causes you to want to linger.  This is why the words cottage and charm are so often used together!

I have been fortunate enough to live in a cottage for the past 15 years.  I knew from day one that this would be my "forever" home.  Even though it is stuffed to the gills with books, antiques, and all the other things I simply must have around me, I would not trade it for any McMansion.  Often I have been asked (over the past several years) why I live "below my means".  This totally amazes me...not only that people would say such a thing (rude) but that they cannot appreciate "living small". 
Having grown up in a large home, I watched workmen as well as my parents constantly maintaining....huge gardening efforts...tons of drapery, bathrooms everywhere.  I enjoy my tiny garden and my totally updated but "normal" sized rooms jewel box rooms.
To each his own, but for me give me a cottage any day.  I think they are just grand!  PS....I almost never post photos of my own home.  It is just too personal.

As always...xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts