THE GLOVE DRAWER

One of my earliest memories as a child is of a drawer in my mother's dresser.  It smelled ever so slightly of Chanel #5 and leather.  An odd mix you say?  This is the drawer where she kept her gloves.
I can remember on one side there were the white kid gloves in varying lengths with pearl button closures.  The other side was almost identical except these gloves were fabric....different fabrics depending on the season and the ensemble, all shades of white.  Of course there were all lengths, but my favorites were the white opera length gloves.  I highly doubt she ever wore these more than once for some party (we just did not live that kind of life), but she had them just in case.

Two special things about the glove drawer stand out in my mind.  One...the stiff tissue paper that seperated each pair and the crinkly sound it would make.  Two...under the gloves was a pearl handled pistol.  I am told it was never used due to her fear of guns, but she wanted it just in case...like the opera length gloves.
As always....xx.DT

Comments

  1. My mom had quite a few pairs of gloves as well, and the long, pearl buttoned leather ones were my favorites. I wish I still had them. Mom had a gun too, but not a fancy one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts