THE LAST FRONTIER....MY BACKYARD!

While hardly a "frontier" it may as well be one.  We have tried gravel paths, sod, more sod (different variety), and various ground covers.  The issue is our yard is surrounded by towering oaks that are very old, have HUGE canopies, with not a single one in our cottage backyard!

It all starts with a wonderful gate!
This one is in front of architect Bill Ingram's cottage in Mountain Brook.  John Howard...did you have a hand in this?

 I made an executive decision over the past month...a brick wall with raised beds, brick walks and a courtyard, plus a potting shed (for effect mostly).  The raised beds are a necessity due to a tricky lower back, the brick walks because oaks trees only have one time of year that they do not shed....summer. We go from tassels to acorns to leaves....repeat. No grass needed or wanted.  The wall is really for two reasons.  One, my neighbor on one side thinks ivy should be cultivated and never trimmed (think snakes and mice and crawly things), and my neighbor on the other two sides owns the remains of the original Fowler nursery land in the midst of what is now University Park.  It is a wildlife refuge on about 2 acres of poison ivy and oak trees.  HELP...I need BRICK!  
The garden Bunny Mellon designed for Givenchy's county home.  Beyond!

Raised beds are a must!





Green and white...so soothing!  I can smell the boxwood already!

Also, I tend to enjoy a sense of enclosure in small spaces.  The wide open makes me a bit nervous.  Perhaps this is why I tend to go to cities on a "vacation" instead of beaches and mountains like the "normal" folk do. I digress.  

We will have to terrace our yard due to the slope. I actually do not mind this at all and think this will us a series of garden rooms.

Hopefully work will begin this Fall 2014 and will be finished in time for early Spring planting.  Anyone who knows me will tell you the garden will be all green (boxwood) and white.  Enjoy these inspiration photos from my Pinterest board....The Garden.

NO IVY!

As always...xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts