Sister, decorators, and why I no longer charge.....

  Sister Parish was an icon to me as a young boy for many reasons...she helped Jackie Kennedy with a complete overhaul of the White House, was a smart and independent businesswoman (before it was fashionable), and her absolute devotion to her Pekingese fur babies.  I have read countless accounts of how she would decide if she would work with a client based on their reaction to her Peke's.  Bravo to her I say!


The Peke on her left is a carbon copy of my Rosie...a tiny sable with black mask sleeve Pekingese.

No doubt Sister would not approve of the state of the interior decoration business these days.  It seems that anyone with a tax number (regardless of taste) is having cards printed and calling themselves decorators.  Even the D & D building in Manhattan is letting the masses into the showrooms with an "on call" decorator.  Update...I heard last night at dinner in Atlanta that ADAC is now also open to the public.  UGH!  Is nothing sacred?

As many of you know, I detest the term "interior designer"...it smacks of pretension.  Unless your are moving walls (which will require an engineer),  you are merely decorating what is there.  FYI...if they have letters behind their name you better watch your wallet.

There are many in the business today that I admire for their wonderful work...Michael Smith, Bunny Williams and Miles Redd to name a few.  The pic below is from Bunny's guesthouse dining room...a personal favorite.


Several years ago I decided to only do work for people I like, and I no longer charge for my opinions.  There are far too many that are willing to "get it for you wholesale" for my taste, and far too many rude/bored clients that I no longer have to deal with (thanks be to God).  I would prefer to sit at home with my Pekingese!

xx.DT

Comments

Popular Posts